Monday, January 25, 2010

Weighing and Wanting

I have an overactive guilt complex even when I have done nothing wrong. I am sitting in a lovely chair next to a toasty fire in my indie-chic living room. It comes close to an emotional equilibrium.

How can you feel both anxiousness and contentment at the same time? I didn't think they came as a box set. But both have been my companions lately, and they don't cancel each other out. They seem to make the other feeling so much more vivid in comparison. The bitter and the sweet, I guess.

But anxiousness also seems to make me more active. I always tend to get in shape when I'm in a fix. And I get in fixes like clockwork. Because of this, my run this evening felt great.

All of which reminds me of Crispian St. Peters's simple and earnest tune, c. 1966:

Well I woke up this morning
You were on my mind
I said you were on my mind

Oh, I got troubles, oh, oh
I got worries, oh, oh
I got wounds to bind

So I went to the corner
Just to ease my pain
I said just to ease my pain

Oh, I got troubles, oh, oh
I got worries, oh, oh
I came home again

But I woke up this morning
You were on my mind
You were on my mind

Oh, I got troubles, oh, oh
I got worries, oh, oh
I got wounds to bind

But I've got a feeling
Yeah, down in my shoes
I said way down in my shoes

Well, I gotta ramble, oh, oh
I gotta move on, oh, oh
I gotta walk away my blues

When I woke up this morning
You were on my mind
I said you were on my mind

Well, I got troubles, oh, oh
I got worries, oh, oh
I got wounds to bind, yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment